We actually began as two churches, one pastored by David Hoffman and the other by his brother Mark Hoffman. In 1986 the two churches merged to pursue the goal of bringing the Kingdom of God to the culture of East San Diego County.
Our early meeting were held in some pretty unlikely places, like the San Carlos Recreation Center. Early Sunday mornings our Worship Leader, Hank Dmochowski, would truck in amps, drums, guitars and other equipment while Pastors David and Mark Hoffman alternated weeks of preaching and cleaning restrooms.
In 1991 we began renting a small space in our current location on West Bradley in El Cajon, but it sure looked different. Our first sanctuary was a small room at 365 West Bradley, which doesn't exist anymore. We quickly outgrew that space and moved to 315 West Bradley. We remodelled that sanctuary three times, added a second Sunday morning service and even a Saturday night service, but eventually we outgrew that area too.
In 2003 we bought the buildings we had been renting on West Bradley and broke ground on the new Sanctuary building. Our 1750 seat sanctuary is one of the largest auditoriums in East County. When the sanctuary project was finished we completely rebuilt the building that is now our Youth Center.
Foothills now reaches out beyond the East County, servicing children, youth and families throughout the San Diego region.